Shaykh ʿAbdul-ʿAzīz b. ʿAbdillāh b. Bāz – Allāh have mercy on him – was asked:
Your eminence, Shaykh, what is your advice to the Muslims as we welcome this virtuous month?
The Shaykh mentioned numerous verses from the Qurān and ḥadīth from the Prophet ﷺ in his answer. The full text can be referred to in his Fatāwā (15:50). His advice is summarised in the following points:
• My advice to all Muslims is to have taqwā of Allāh (fear him and protect against displeasing him by doing what he has commanded and leaving what he has forbidden).
• To welcome this great month and benefit from it through sincere, true tawbah (repentance) from all sins.
• To gain fiqh (understanding) about their religion and learn the rules and regulations of fasting and prayer.
• All Muslims are advised to fear Allāh, protect their fasting and keep it clear of all sins.
• It is prescribed for the Muslims in this month to exert themselves in doing more good, and hurrying to do it, including:
• reciting a lot of Qurān because this is the month of the Qurān.
• praying tarāwīḥ (the extra night prayers)
• giving charity
• dhikr (remembrance) of Allāh
• advising each other and telling each other to do good and stay away from evil
• The reward of good deeds is multiplied during this month
• Sins are more heinous in this month
• The Muslim should therefore pay more attention during this month to fulfilling his duties, staying away from ḥarām, and doing extra good deeds of all types.
• The Muslim does all this sincerely, hoping in reward from Allāh and fearing his punishment.
The Shaykh concluded his answer with duʿā for the Muslims and their rulers, for their guidance and rectitude. He asked Allāh the exalted to enable us to reach the month of Ramadan and benefit by it. Āmīn.